Folkestone & Hythe District Council: Council Tax rates and Japanese owned bailiffs.

Council Tax Bills are currently being sent out to every household in the district by Folkestone & Hythe District Council, liable for Council Tax. Your Council Tax is made up of charges from the following authorities:

Council Tax is still based on property values from 1 April 1991. As a consequence of this, and of regional variations in house price growth and its original design, council tax has become increasingly unfair. The cheaper your property, the more you are likely to pay as a proportion of its value.

Council tax, like the poll tax before it, is punishing those on the lowest incomes in our district, county and country. It’s time for an overhaul. The replacement of council tax with a progressive property tax, accompanied by an effective benefit system that protects those on the very lowest incomes, or even a new land value tax, must be on the table.

In the last five financial years the No 1 spot for the most expensive part of the district to live in by Council Tax – using band D is as follows:

  • 2015/16 – Folkestone – £1614.65

  • 2016/17 – Lydd – £1678.10

  • 2017/18 – Folkestone – £1735.15

  • 2018/19 – New Romney – £1843.22

  • 2019/20 – New Romney – £1938.05

The cheapest part of the district for a Band D for the last five years has been Snargate.

You can see where your parish/town  rates for Council Tax charges for the years 2015/16 – 2019/20






Between 2002/03 and 2016/17 the total number of Bailiff letters sent by Folkestone & Hythe District Council to people unable to pay their Council tax was 19,767. To put that into some sort of context and give you an example, it would mean that 2 out of every 3 people in Hythe had received a bailiff letter for non payment approximately.

Folkestone & Hythe District Council have previously used two enforcement bailiffs to collect unpaid Council Tax. The companies are:

who are ultimately owned by the global outsourcing group, Outsourcing Inc based in Tokyo Japan.

If you are having issues with your Council Tax then we advise you contact the Council as soon as possible as there are a number of discounts available.

If you believe you Council Tax rate is too high then you can by law challenge this via the Valuation Tribunal Service.

If you are having problems paying your Council Tax, then contact:

or if you can afford to pay:

The Shepwayvox Team

Journalism for the People NOT the Powerful

About shepwayvox (1611 Articles)
Our sole motive is to inform the residents of Shepway - and beyond -as to that which is done in their name. email:

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: