The latest data from Office for National Statistics has been mapped (see map below) at (MSOA) ward level and shows the Folkestone & Hythe District has suffered 23 covid-19 related deaths between March 1-April 17.
Behind every death, every number, in this pandemic is a human being and a tragic toll on a family and a community our hearts and condolences go out to every one of them.
The ONS map has points placed at the centre of the area they represent and does not show the actual location of deaths (such as street name). To protect confidentiality, a small number of deaths have been reallocated between neighbouring areas.
The figures are for deaths occurring between March 1 and April 17 and registered by April 18. Figures exclude death of non-residents. Coronavirus (COVID-19) was the underlying cause or was mentioned on the death certificate as a contributory factor.
Nick Stripe, Head of Health Analysis, Office for National Statistics, said in the press release:
“People living in more deprived areas have experienced COVID-19 mortality rates more than double those living in less deprived areas. General mortality rates are normally higher in more deprived areas, but so far COVID-19 appears to be taking them higher still.”
Folkestone & Hythe district is ranked 3rd for the number of wards which are deprived in Kent, behind Thanet (1st) and Swale (2nd). It has 4 areas that are listed as among the 10% most deprived in the country, Folkestone Harbour, Folkestone East, Folkestone Central and Lydd. The first three wards have had six covid-19 deaths. The rankings are based on deprivation in areas such as education, employment, health, housing and crime.
Infection rates and critical care demand across Kent and Medway is slowing. Approximately 11% of all Kent and Medway hospital beds are currently being used for Covid-19 patients (down from 15%) and across all Kent and Medway hospitals there are 300 critical care beds with roughly 200 being ventilators and 100 for the next level down called Oxygen Plus. Currently 68 patients are on ventilators and 22 on Oxygen Plus. This is down from 145 patients just over a week ago.
During a meeting on April 30, Wilf Williams, the Accountable Officer for Kent and Medway Clinical Commissioning Group, said:
“Activity has come down and our system is still very much able to cope.”
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.